Open Work Permit

This work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, in any occupation, rather than being tied to a specific employer or job

Our services for open work permit applications

What is an Open Work Permit?

An Open Work Permit does not tie you to a specific employer or job. Our office can assist you with such application if you are an international student who has graduated from a Canadian designated learning institution DLI, or a spouse of a skilled foreign worker, or an individual who has applied for permanent residence in Canada.

Your Eligibility

Do you/your spouse meet the necessary requirements to apply for an open work permit?

Here are some scenarios where you may be eligible to apply for an open work permit:

  • Your spouse must have a valid Study Permit (be a full-time student)
  • Your spouse must have an employer-specific Work Permit
  • You must be in the process of applying for permanent residency (PR Pending)

However easy it may sound that obtaining an open work permit is a straightforward process, additional information may be requested depending on your case. Therefore, it is advisable to hire a licensed immigration practitioner. We are here for you. Our experienced licensed immigration practitioners can help you or your spouse get your Open Work permit.

Our Services in a Nutshell

Here is what we and our licensed immigration practitioners will do for you:

We will give you a customized list of documents and information needed for the application

We will advise you on key elements each document should include that are applicable to your family situation to help you meet all the requirements

We will also help you write a statement explaining why you want to come to Canada

Once our licensed immigration practitioner submits the application, we will keep you updated about the status of your application

After you receive your Open Work Permit approval letter, our team will instruct you about what to expect upon arrival in Canada and which documents you should have for presentation before the border officer

Additional Services

Are you working in Canada on an Open Work Permit and need further assistance with your status or visas for your family?
  • We can assist your spouse and/or children with their visas to Canada
  • We can help you if you need to restore your or your family members’ status in Canada
  • We can help with your change of status application
  • If your or your family members’ visa applications were previously refused, we can request the visa officer's notes and potentially assist with reapplying
Are you interested in remaining in Canada permanently?
  • We can assist you with getting a new temporary visa or extending your current status
  • We can also check if you are eligible for permanent residency in Canada

Frequently Asked Questions

My partner and I are not married, but we have been living together for a few years. Can I apply for an open work permit if my partner holds a valid study permit in Canada?

Yes, you can apply for an open work permit if you and your spouse have been living together under the same roof for at least one year and can provide evidence of your exclusive relationship as a couple. Our team can review your situation and provide recommendations on how to meet the genuineness of the relationship test and demonstrate to Canada Immigration that you are a common-law couple.

I have a work permit for Canada but haven't started working yet. Can I apply for an open work permit for my spouse?

To apply for an open work permit for your spouse, you need to fulfill certain requirements and provide specific documents. One of the many requirements is to show payroll statements from your Canadian employer. Therefore, it's better to wait until you start working and receive your salary before applying for your spouse's open work permit. 

Don't know where to start?
No worries, we’ll guide you.

LMIA is a document issued by the Canadian government to assess the impact that hiring a foreign worker would have on the Canadian labor market.
In Canada, a DLI is a school that has been approved by the provincial or territorial government to welcome international students.
Change of condition application means that you may need to move from one temporary status in Canada to another to avoid losing your status.
Living common-law means that you are living in a conjugal relationship with a person who is not your married spouse. This person has to have been living with you in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 continuous months.
IRCC stands for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship.
Diploma (2 to 3 years): high school diploma. Certificate (1 to 2 years): high school + other requirements depending on the program. Professional degree (3 years): high school + other requirements depending on the program. Applied bachelor's degrees (3-4 years): high school + other requirements depending on the program.
To be compliant means that you will need to fulfill your conditions as a full-time international student and follow any additional conditions that may be applicable to you.
For Canadian immigration, you have to provide language test results from an authorized organization. There are two current authorized test providers in English, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP).
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is the department of the Government of Canada responsible for developing, managing and delivering social programs and services.
A transition plan describes the activities you are agreeing to undertake to recruit, retain and train Canadians and permanent residents and to reduce your reliance on the Temporary Foreign Worker Permit.
If your temporary status in Canada (e.g. your study permit) has expired and you did not apply for an extension before the expiry date, you must apply to restore your status within 90 days of the expiry date if you want to stay in Canada. This process is known as restoration of status.
A multiple entry visa will let you travel to Canada for six months at a time as many times as you want